Straight to the Level
Our total favourite was the Owala Free Sip Vacuum Water Bottle; it was leakproof and transportable, and we appreciated that it had each straw and “chug” ingesting choices. For a funds choose, we suggest the Contigo Courtland Chill, and for a no-frills-but-still-great bottle we might seize the Hydro Flask 24 oz Wide Mouth With Straw.
My water bottle and I are inseparable. I stick it in my automobile cup holder once I run errands, convey it to the fitness center, and tote it round in my purse. That each one being mentioned, I’ve some excessive requirements: I need a clean sipper that gained’t splash or leak; the highest ought to be simple to open and shut, and it shouldn’t have too many hard-to-clean nooks and crannies. It also needs to maintain water moderately cool in case you throw just a few ice cubes inside (and the ice ought to simply match via the opening). I award bonus factors if it suits into my automobile cup holder and bag.
I examined seven stainless-steel fashions to seek out an awesome on a regular basis water bottle. Some had built-in straws, others had easy screw-off tops, and all of them promised first rate chilly retention. (Word: all however one had a 24-ounce capability—the outlier was 26 ounces). Right here’s what I discovered.
The Winners, at a Look
The Greatest General Water Bottle: Owala Free Sip Vacuum Water Bottle
I beloved that this bottle had two sipping decisions—a straw and a chug spout. Sipping via each was clean and drip- and spurt-free. It was additionally leakproof, had a pleasant grip due to two indents on both aspect, and match snugly in a automobile cup holder. General, it is a bottle I would use on a regular basis.
The Greatest Price range Water Bottle: Contigo Courtland Chill
For those who don’t need to spend greater than $20 on a water bottle, the Contigo Courtland Chill is a good selection. It had an easy-to-use lock and was clean to drink from due to its slender opening (formed like that of a espresso cup lid), despite the fact that it didn’t have a straw possibility. It additionally did a powerful job preserving water chilled.
The Greatest No-Frills Water Bottle: Hydro Flask 24 oz Large Mouth With Straw
The Hydro Flask is a good no-frills water bottle that does a strong job on all counts. I appreciated that the physique was slender and slim—it made it ultra-portable. Its cap had a built-in straw that was simple to drink from and its broad mouth made it a cinch to fill.
- Usability Assessments: I sipped water from every water bottle at the least 25 instances, utilizing every all through the day and bringing them with me to the fitness center. I additionally evaluated how simple they have been to fill with water and ice cubes.
- Spill Take a look at: I crammed every water bottle with water and knocked it over 5 instances onto a floor lined with paper towels, noting if it leaked.
- Chilly Retention Take a look at: I crammed every water bottle with 100 grams of ice and 300 grams of chilled water and checked the temperature with an instant-read thermometer each hour for 24-plus hours.
- Cleanup Assessments: I hand washed every water bottle with a bottle brush and soapy water, noting how simple or troublesome it was to take action. I additionally ran the dishwasher-safe bottles and components via the dishwasher, checking for any harm afterwards.
- Sturdiness Take a look at: I dropped every water bottle 5 instances onto a gravel driveway to look at sturdiness.
What We Realized
Straws Made for the Smoothest Sipping Expertise
5 of the water bottles I examined featured screw-on lids with giant openings for “chugging” water. This type of bottle was extra vulnerable to splashing and total messier ingesting. Two bottles featured straws, which direct water extra exactly than a chug-style opening; I most popular this type for a clean (and splash-free) sipping expertise. My favourite bottle truly featured each a straw and a chug-style opening, permitting me to drink in huge gulps or small sips. Selection is the spice of life, proper?
An Intuitive Lid with a Smaller Sipping Opening Was Greatest
I most popular water bottles that have been simple to make use of when it comes to lids and locking mechanisms, just like the Hydro Flask, which had the best lid design of all of them: it featured a screw-on lid with a straw mouthpiece that lifts up—simple peasy. The GSI Microlite 720 Flip, whereas leakproof, had a reasonably complicated lock mechanism, and the lid required me to actively pull it open as an alternative of mechanically popping open as soon as unlocked, which I anticipated. The sipping port was additionally inset, and I discovered it troublesome to get my mouth shut sufficient to drink cleanly. The Yeti Rambler bottle featured a two-component lid (a plastic chug part and a separate cap to cowl it), which made for some messy errors; on multiple event, I unintentionally took off each items and splashed myself with water. Typically, water bottles with easier and smaller-sized ingesting openings (just like the Owala, Contigo, and Hydro Flask) have been much less messy, and I most popular ingesting from them.
Most Bottles are Nice at Holding Water Cool
To check chilly retention, I crammed every bottle with 100 grams of ice and 300 grams of water chilled to 37°F. In the course of the temperature checks, I seen that the water first went right down to round 34°F, seemingly as a result of ice chilling it. Most bottles’ ice utterly melted across the 12-hour mark, however the water was nonetheless very chilly, averaging 34°F. Whereas the GSI (which has double wall insulation) saved water chilled the longest (it was at 38°F after 28 hours), usability elements introduced it down in our rankings.
The takeaway from this testing was twofold. First, worth didn’t have a large impact on chilly retention—the most cost effective bottle saved water chilled longer than some pricier fashions. Second, I discovered that chilly retention was truly reasonably irrelevant, since all bottles saved water cool (sub-50°F) for at the least 24 hours, and most of the people gained’t require their on a regular basis bottle to do greater than that.
Bases with Small Diameters Had Larger Portability
I most popular water bottles with base diameters of two.75 to three inches—they have been simpler to suit into automobile cup holders and customarily made for extra transportable bottles. The Hydro Flask and Contigo each had bases that have been 2.75 inches in diameter, making them ultra-portable. Whereas the Owala had a barely bigger base (3 inches), it was nonetheless slender sufficient to snugly match right into a cup holder. The Yeti, which had a base diameter of three.25 inches (the biggest of the lineup) was too giant to suit right into a cup holder and too cumbersome to be simply positioned in a handbag. That mentioned, in case you’re carrying it in a mountain climbing backpack on the path, dimension most likely gained’t be an issue, however weight may: it was 1.4 kilos empty, making it the heaviest bottle within the lineup.
Dings and Dents Weren’t a Large Deal (Although They Don’t Look Fairly)
Whereas the Owala and Hydro Flask received dinged up fairly a bit throughout our sturdiness testing, I discovered that though being aesthetically unappealing, the dents had no impact on the general expertise of ingesting from the bottle. Nonetheless, each manufacturers do promote silicone boots to assist shield the underside (this one from Hydro Flask and this one from Owala, though Amazon sells lots of third party ones—simply examine the scale). The Lifefactory did pretty higher than the opposite bottles throughout the sturdiness check, seemingly due to the built-in silicone cap on the bottom.
There Have been No Points with Leaks
I carried out a leak check with the bottles closed/lids capped, and none of them leaked. Nonetheless, in case you have been to have the bottle open, sure, it might spill water if knocked over. The Hydro Flask will do that in case you depart the straw sipping half up—as soon as it’s down, I didn’t have any points.
The Standards: What To Search for In a Stainless Metal Water Bottle
One of the best stainless-steel water bottles have a small base, don’t leak, are clean to drink from with a small mouthpiece, and have a easy lid design. I additionally most popular bottles with a straw, which made for smoother sips. Bottles with a base diameter of two.75 to three inches have been typically extra transportable, and the lighter the bottle, the higher when it comes to carrying consolation.
The Greatest Water Bottle: Owala FreeSip Vacuum Water Bottle
What we appreciated: This water bottle was a pleasure to make use of and drink from total, however my favourite factor about it was the twin straw and chug mouthpieces. Each have been clean to drink from and gave you the selection of taking small sips or bigger gulps (in case you’re actually thirsty). I additionally appreciated the lock-lid, which popped proper open when the button was pressed and ensured a leakproof seal.
What we didn’t like: The bottle was a tad wider (by .25 inches) than our different two high picks, however I used to be nonetheless capable of match it right into a automobile cup holder and tote bag. The bottom dinged up fairly a bit when dropped, however the dents didn’t have an effect on usability. That mentioned, you should purchase a bottle boot to guard the bottle’s backside, if seems to be matter to you.
- Quantity: 24 fluid ounces
- Base diameter: 3 inches
- Top: 10.75 inches
- Weight: 13.7 ounces
- Sipping type: Straw and chug
- Dishwasher-safe: Lid and straw solely
- How lengthy it saved water chilled beneath 50°F: 27 hours
The Greatest Price range Water Bottle: Contigo Courtland Chill 24 oz Water Bottle
What we appreciated: The Contigo punched above its weight, and was a fraction of the value of some bottles in our lineup. I beloved the graceful however grippy bottle physique, and the lid had an intuitive and simple to make use of lock system that prevented leaks. And despite the fact that it didn’t have a straw, the mouthpiece was fairly small, which made for a clean sipping expertise. It additionally beat out a few of the pricier fashions (*cough* Yeti *cough*) when it got here to chilly retention. It was one among our favorites so far as portability, too.
What we didn’t like: I’d have most popular if there was a straw possibility, however this was nonetheless an awesome water bottle. It received minor dents and dings throughout our sturdiness testing, and the slender mouthpiece was barely laborious to scrub, however neither difficulty was a deal-breaker.
- Quantity: 24 fluid ounces
- Base diameter: 2.75 inches
- Top: 11 inches
- Weight: 14.3 ounces
- Sipping type: Sipping port (no straw)
- Dishwasher-safe: Sure
- How lengthy it saved water chilled beneath 50°F: 29-plus hours
The Greatest No-Frills Water Bottle: Hydro Flask 24-Ounce Large Mouth With Straw
What we appreciated: Light-weight, simple to make use of, and with a easy straw for sipping, the Hydro Flask was a strong, no-frills water bottle. It additionally had a small base, which made it good for bringing alongside within the automobile.
What we didn’t like: The one downsides have been that it was costly and it dinged up pretty simply—however the excellent news is you should purchase a removable, silicone boot to guard it. The one different qualm I had was that generally the water exuberantly spurted from the mouthpiece upon sipping.
- Quantity: 24 fluid ounces
- Base diameter: 2.75 inches
- Top: 10.75 inches
- Weight: 12.8 ounces
- Sipping type: Straw
- Dishwasher-safe: Sure (it’s finest to scrub the straw and lid on the highest rack)
- How lengthy it saved water chilled beneath 50 °F: 25 hours
- GSI Microlite 720 Flip: Whereas I appreciated the petite dimension of this bottle (it was the second shortest within the lineup), the lid was complicated; it was unclear when it was locked or not, and also you needed to pry it open when it was unlocked. Plus, the sipping opening was inset and had a plastic rim, that means your nostril bonked the lid and you actually needed to stick your mouth in to achieve it. Nonetheless, it did the most effective job at preserving water cool—after practically 30 hours, the water was nonetheless solely 38°F. So if having chilly water for greater than a day is vital to you, this might be the bottle to purchase.
- Lifefactory 24-Ounce Vacuum Insulated Stainless Steel Sport Bottle: This bottle was largely unremarkable. Whereas the smaller chug-style sipping port was alright to drink from, I had bother getting ice into it, and the threaded cap was usually laborious to screw in.
- Takeya 24-Ounce Actives Insulated Water Bottle With Spout Lid: I appreciated the grippy backside on this bottle, however the little screw cap for the sipping port felt superfluous, and the port itself was only a tad too giant for clean, comfy sipping.
- Yeti Rambler 26-Ounce Water Bottle: This 26-fluid-ounce behemoth (it was the closest dimension to 24 ounces that Yeti gives) was the biggest bottle within the lineup, which made it troublesome to suit right into a bag or backpack (and it most positively gained’t match right into a cup holder). It was additionally the heaviest, clocking in at 1.4 kilos. The 2-part lid (which is made up of a chug spout lid and cap to cowl it) gave me bother, since I’d usually unintentionally unscrew each, go to take a sip, and splash myself with water. That each one mentioned, it’s a sturdy, giant bottle that might be helpful for longer journeys.
How ought to I clear a stainless-steel water bottle?
One of the best ways to scrub a stainless-steel water bottle by hand is with a bottle scrub brush and sizzling, soapy water. A dishwasher can be an possibility for bottles which can be dishwasher-safe, however you should definitely be aware which components are high rack-only.
How usually ought to I clear my stainless-steel water bottle?
For those who use your bottle usually, we suggest cleansing it every single day use since minerals, mildew, and mildew can construct up within the lids and on the backside of the bottle. Yuck!
Can I put sizzling espresso or different sizzling liquids in a stainless-steel water bottle?
Whereas a few of the bottles we examined did declare to maintain sizzling liquids sizzling, we don’t suggest placing sizzling espresso or tea in a water bottle; lots of the sipping ports aren’t ideally suited for sipping sizzling drinks and low can even depart an disagreeable odor. As an alternative, use a delegated travel mug.
Can micro organism develop in stainless-steel water bottles?
Sure, in case you don’t clear your water bottle after utilizing it, all types of unideal stuff can construct up over time, including bacteria.