Image default
Newafrican

Mamabolo seeks R12bn to settle Gauteng e-tolls debt





The ache of the e-tolls saga continues to linger on with Gauteng finance MEC Jacob Mamabolo saying the provincial authorities is in search of all income streams to settle the whopping R12.9 billion invoice.

Mamabolo tabled a R155 billion funds to the provincial legislature on Thursday.

This is a rise from the R152.9 billion offered in March this yr.

E-toll debt dedication

The Gauteng authorities dedicated R12.9 billion in the direction of the decommissioning of e-tolls which accounts for 30% of the full invoice – whereas the Nationwide Treasury will foot the remaining 70% owed to the South African Nationwide Roads Company (Sanral).

Mamabolo mentioned the brand new funding mannequin for Gauteng’s highways will probably be mentioned with residents.

“It’s on this context that we want to guarantee residents of Gauteng that we are going to not compromise our priorities in social providers corresponding to well being and training. I’m additionally happy to announce that within the present monetary yr there will probably be no particular allocation that’s required for the compensation of e-tolls.”

ALSO READ: Gauteng to contribute R12.9 billion towards the decommissioning of e-tolls

Preventing crime

In the meantime, following the announcement of the second quarter crime stats which painted a grim image of crime within the nation, Mamabolo mentioned treasury has allotted R173 million to struggle crime within the province.

Mamabolo mentioned he’s very assured that the cash will probably be nicely spent within the struggle in opposition to crime together with getting used for the recruitment of peace wardens for the province, procurement of 10 drones, 50 automobiles and 500 000 panic buttons.

“We should say to the criminals their days are numbered. The drones will probably be transferring round, the panic buttons will probably be checking them, we’re going to give the criminals a run on this province, and we’re placing our cash the place our mouth is,” Mamabolo mentioned.

Crime stats

The second quarter (between July and September 2022) crime stats offered by Police Minister Bheki Cele revealed Gauteng recorded 145 murders. Gauteng is behind KwaZulu-Natal with 185 folks killed within the province.

ALSO READ: Crime stats: Over 7 000 murders committed between July and September



Related posts

Mercedes unveils newest electrical SUV aimed toward Tesla’s M…

admin

UPDATE 1-Lula barely boosts lead over Bolsonaro forward…

admin

FRIDAY BRIEFING | Phala Phala report: The top for Cyril Ramaphosa?

admin