Late targets from Cody Gakpo and Davy Klaassen gave Netherlands victory in opposition to Senegal of their opening Group A match of the 2022 World Cup.
Gakpo made a superbly timed run to go house a superbly weighted cross from Frenkie de Jong, earlier than Klaassen tapped house to seal the win deep into damage time.
The Dutch are actually undefeated in 16 matches below coach Louis van Gaal. In addition they stretched an unbeaten file of their opening sport at World Cups that dates again to 1938.
How the Dutch defeated dogged Senegal
Gakpo, who has now scored three targets in his final 4 internationals, had their first alternative after 4 minutes however tried to sq. the ball to Steven Bergwijn as an alternative of going for aim.
That was adopted by a Daley Blind header on the far publish that flew large earlier than Steven Berghuis despatched Bergwijn by way of and he laid it off for the unmarked De Jong within the field.
The midfielder took far too lengthy to launch the ball, nevertheless, and his effort was blocked.
Huge moments within the sport…
- 19 minutes: Frenkie de Jong’s effort is blocked after taking one contact too many following a pleasant sq. ball from Steven Bergwijn.
- 25 minutes: Ismaila Sarr unleashes a rasping shot however it’s diverted away from aim by a Virgil van Dijk defensive header.
- 40 minutes: Steven Berghuis shoots narrowly over Edouard Mendy’s crossbar from the sting of the realm.
- 53 minutes: Virgil van Dijk has a free header and may have opened the scoring however the Dutch captain is unable to maintain his effort low sufficient.
- 65: Andries Noppert will get all the way down to his left to parry away a Boulaye Dia shot.
- 86: Andries Noppert denies Senegal a method again into the sport after saving from Pape Gueye.
The African champions have been badly lacking injured talisman Sadio Mane and didn’t handle a shot on track till the sixty fifth minute when Boulaye Dia’s tried to sneak one previous goalkeeper Andries Noppert, making his Dutch debut, from a decent angle.
Senegal had extra possession within the second half however regardless of the relentless drumming from their small fan group within the stands couldn’t discover the again of the online.
To make issues worse, Cheikhou Kouyate needed to be taken off injured earlier than Gakpo snuck in to grab the opening aim.
Klaassen made positive of the three factors with a stoppage time tap-in after Mendy palmed a Memphis Depay shot into his path.
Dutch defensive nous on present once more at World Cup – Opta Stats
- Netherlands have saved 4 consecutive clear sheets on the World Cup for the primary time, whereas they’re the primary nation to take action general since Spain in 2010.
- Senegal have misplaced consecutive matches on the World Cup for the primary time, whereas they’ve not saved a clear sheet within the competitors since their event debut in opposition to France in 2002.
- At 71 years and 105 days, Netherlands boss Louis van Gaal grew to become the third oldest supervisor to take cost of a match on the World Cup, after Otto Rehhagel (71y 317d) and Óscar Tabárez (71y 125d).
- Cody Gakpo’s opener after 84 minutes got here from Netherlands’ first shot on track in opposition to Senegal, whereas Davy Klaassen’s strike was their newest ever aim scored within the World Cup (98:17).
- Cody Gakpo has been concerned in 4 targets in his final 4 video games for Netherlands in all competitions (3 targets, 1 help), twice as many as he had in his first six appearances for the nationwide facet (1 aim, 1 help).
- The typical age of Senegal’s beginning XI was 28 years and 284 days, their oldest in any of their 9 video games on the World Cup, and greater than two years older than their earlier oldest (26y 224d in opposition to Colombia in 2018).
- Virgil van Dijk made his fiftieth look for Netherlands in all competitions, however his first at a significant event. Solely goalkeeper Gejus van der Meulen earned extra caps for Oranje earlier than enjoying at a World Cup or European Championship (54, in 1934) than Van Dijk.
What the outcome means
Ecuador and Netherlands are actually joint leaders in Group A after each registering 2-0 wins of their respective openers.
Netherlands face Ecuador of their second group sport on Friday, November 25, at 4pm, with Senegal enjoying host-nation Qatar earlier the identical day at 1pm.
The winners of Group A will face the runners-up from Group B, containing England, Wales, USA and Iran. The runner-up in Group A will face the winners of Group B.