Image default
The Independent

Celia Marsh: Mom-of-five died after consuming Pret a Manger vegan wrap contaminated with traces of milk, coroner guidelines

A mother-of-five with an acute dairy allergy died after consuming a Pret a Manger vegan wrap contaminated with traces of milk, a coroner has discovered.

Celia Marsh, 42, a dental nurse from Melksham, Wiltshire, suffered anaphylaxis shortly after consuming a super-veg rainbow flatbread from the chain’s retailer in Bath on 27 December 2017.

The coconut yoghurt used as dressing from the Australian model CoYo, which was licensed for manufacture within the UK to British agency Planet Coconut, had traces of milk protein in it, senior coroner Maria Voisin concluded.

Ms Voisin reached a story conclusion on Thursday following a two-week inquest into Ms Marsh’s dying at Avon Coroner’s Court docket in Bristol.

She mentioned the producer of the yoghurt, labelled as dairy-free, had documentation that flagged the chance of cross-contamination however didn’t move the knowledge on to prospects.

Mom-of-five Celia Marsh was on a post-Christmas buying journey together with her husband and three daughters in 2017 when she died

(Leigh Day/PA)

The coroner mentioned: “Celia Marsh was allergic to exploit. She died when she suffered anaphylaxis attributable to consumption of a wrap contaminated with milk protein.

“She was not conscious that the wrap contained milk protein. The wrap contained a product which was labelled as dairy-free yoghurt various however, regardless of this, contained milk protein which was the reason for Celia‘s anaphylaxis.

“The contamination arose as a result of an ingredient within the yoghurt referred to as HG1 (a starch) had been cross-contaminated with milk protein throughout its manufacture.

The dental nurse died lower than two hours after consuming a Pret A Manger super-veg rainbow flatbread

(Pret A Manger)

“The producer of the dairy-free yoghurt had in its possession documentation that flagged this danger however this danger was not handed on to its prospects.”

The inquest beforehand heard the mother-of-five averted all dairy merchandise following a near-fatal allergic response just a few months earlier wherein she wanted 15 pictures of adrenalin.

Ms Marsh had been on a post-Christmas buying journey together with her husband and three of her daughters when she went into Pret to purchase one thing to eat at about 2pm.

She was declared lifeless lower than two hours later.

The wrap had been consumed in its entirety, and the pot of CoYo model yoghurt used to make it was thrown away earlier than Bathtub and North East Somerset Council started its investigation.

However testing on different pots discovered small portions of dairy protein within the product, with traces present in one other rainbow wrap.

Through the two-week inquest, a chemist acknowledged the amount of dairy within the wrap was too low to be measured with any diploma of accuracy, however mentioned he believed it undoubtedly contained milk.

It’s thought the contamination stemmed from the HG1 starch within the yoghurt.

Talking after the conclusion of the inquest into the dying of her mom, Ashleigh Grice criticised the meals trade for its reliance on “imprecise” meals labelling concerning allergens, as a substitute of implementing a strict testing regime.

Ms Grice additionally criticised the producer of the vegan yoghurt that was contaminated with traces of milk for failing to make Pret a Manger conscious of the chance to allergen victims.

“It’s now clear to us that if Planet Coconut had handed on the warnings of their possession to Pret a Manger in regards to the danger of cross-contamination mum would nonetheless be alive in the present day,” she mentioned.

“Mum’s dying, like so many different allergy deaths, was completely avoidable.”

Celia Marsh’s husband Andy Marsh (third proper) and her household arriving for her inquest at Avon and Somerset Coroner’s court docket in Bristol

(Ben Birchall/PA )

Pret a Manger chief govt Pano Christou mentioned: “As a father and husband, I can solely think about how distressing this has been for Celia’s kids and household. Our deepest sympathies stay with everybody who knew and cherished Celia.

“We totally help the coroner’s findings. Because the coroner made clear, Planet Coconut had info which ought to have alerted them that their Coyo yoghurt could have contained milk and this info was not handed on to Pret.

“It goes with out saying that if Pret had ever recognized that the Coyo yoghurt could have contained milk, we’d have by no means used the ingredient.

“On Pret’s half, now we have taken important steps ahead with our suppliers and labelling insurance policies since 2017.”

Ms Marsh’s dying got here within the wake of that of 15-year-old Natasha Ednan-Laperouse, who died in 2016 after consuming a Pret baguette containing sesame seeds.

Ms Ednan-Laperouse had a sesame allergy.

The tragedy sparked an overhaul of meals labelling legal guidelines.

Retailers are actually required to show full ingredient and allergen labelling on each meals merchandise made on the premises and pre-packed for direct sale, together with sandwiches, muffins and salads.

Extra reporting by Press Affiliation

Related posts

Charging some electrical vehicles ‘nearing price of petrol’ as a result of power disaster, RAC warns


Liz Truss: Who shall be in Tory frontrunner’s cupboard if she replaces Boris Johnson?


Grief following Queen’s dying ‘interprets throughout the pond’ as People mourn