Image default
The Independent

Main faculty pupil, 6, dies after micro organism outbreak in Surrey faculty



A primary school pupil has died and a second is being handled in hospital after a bacteria outbreak at a main faculty in Surrey.

The 2 pupils had been believed to be in the identical yr group at Ashford Church of England Main Faculty.

The pair caught the uncommon invasive group A streptococcal an infection (iGAS), the UK Well being Safety Company (UKHSA) mentioned. The federal government company mentioned it had advisable employees and pupils be prescribed antibiotics.

The kid who died is believed to be six years previous and in 12 months 1.

Dr Claire Winslade, well being safety guide at UKHSA South East, mentioned: “We’re extraordinarily saddened to listen to concerning the loss of life of a pupil at Ashford Church of England Faculty, and our ideas are with their household, pals and the college group.

“As a precautionary measure, we’ve advisable antibiotics to pupils and employees in the identical yr teams because the people affected. Now we have offered recommendation to the college to assist stop additional instances and can proceed to observe the scenario.

“Info has been shared with mother and father concerning the indicators and signs of iGAS, which embrace excessive fever with extreme muscle aches, ache in a single space of the physique and unexplained vomiting or diarrhoea. Anybody with these signs ought to name NHS11 instantly.”

An infection with group A Streptococcus bacterium normally causes a sore throat or pores and skin rash and is handed by bodily contact or by droplets from sneezing or coughing.

In very uncommon instances, the an infection can turn into invasive and enter elements of the physique the place micro organism aren’t usually discovered and might trigger extreme and life threatening illnesses corresponding to necrotizing fasciitis and streptococcal poisonous shock syndrome.

A spokesman for the UKHSA mentioned: “Specialists are arranging for antibiotics to be provided to pupils and employees at a Surrey faculty as a precautionary measure, following two instances of invasive Group A streptococcal an infection (iGAS).

“Sadly, one pupil from Ashford Church of England Main Faculty has died and one other is in hospital, however exhibiting constructive indicators of restoration.”

Related posts

IFS says households will ‘lose £2 in stealth freezes’ for each £1 in tax cuts from Liz Truss

admin

GMB union members vote to just accept council pay supply

admin

Household communicate of ‘heartbreak’ over biker’s loss of life as US seeks jurisdiction in case

admin